WordPress widgets are areas of your webpage (generally the right sidebar and/or in the footer area) where you can add different information, that can appear on every page on your site (although you can enable/disable on a page by page basis, depending on your theme).
This information can include links to the important pages/categories of your site, your latest or popular posts, an email opt-in form, special offer – almost anything that you would like to appear on multiple pages of your site.
Below are a few steps and tips to modifying the widgets on your WordPress website:
- In your WordPress dashboard, navigate to Appearance then Widgets
- You can arrange the order of widgets in each widget area by dragging and dropping individual widgets to a different location in the widget area
- You can drag and drop widgets from the “Available Widgets” into each widget area. Some of the available widgets include Search, Text, Category, Recent Posts and Recent Comments.
- You can change the title of your widget by filling in the “Title:” box. Depending on the widget, you may also be able to add content or change the settings if required (eg. In the “Text” widget, you can add text and use html code to customise the content)
- Once you are happy with your widgets, click save. Then go to a page and refresh to see what it looks like
- Depending on the theme, you may have multiple widget areas, including the Sidebar, Footer areas and also in the Header
- Widgets can also be deleted by selecting the widget and clicking “Delete”, or by dragging it out of the widget area (eg. back into the Available or Inactive Widgets area)
So I think this is for now. If you have any comments or questions, please let me know.
Also, stay tuned for more video tutorials soon. Enjoy!