When working with WordPress posts and pages, links are a way to inter-connect one post or page to another.
Below are the steps to create, modify, or delete links in a WordPress post or page:
- The first thing to do is to navigate to the post or page you want to have your link created, modified, or deleted from
- Once you are in the post or page, highlight the word you want to create a link from (this is your anchor text)
- Click the “Insert/Edit link” button (this icon looks like links of a chain) in the formatting toolbar, then a pop-up box will appear
- Type in or paste the website page address in the URL box (the text in the “Link Text” box should already be the same text that was highlighted in the 2nd point above)
- Alternatively, if you want to link to another post/page on the same website, expand the “Or link to existing content” and select the post/page you want to link to
- If you want to open the link in a new tab, check the box “Open link in a new tab”
- And click “Add link”.
You can preview the changes made to your post/page by clicking “Preview changes” in the right side of the dashboard.
To delete the link, in the Edit Post/Page window, simply click on the word with the link that you want to remove, then click the “Unlink” button in the formatting toolbar.
If you would like to add an image, and make the image click through to another page/post, click “Add Media” and select the image you wish to insert. In the “Attachment Display Settings” section, select “Link To: Custom URL”, and enter the URL you would like the image to link through to, and then click “Insert into page”.
Alternatively, once an image is inserted on a page/post, you can also insert/edit the link from the image by highlighting the image in the “Edit Post/Page” window, and then clicking the “Insert/Edit link” icon (this icon that looks like links of a chain) in the formatting toolbar, and following the same steps as mentioned above.
Once you get the hang of it, it is pretty easy to add, modify or delete links on your WordPress site, so have a go and let me know how you go.
As always, please leave any comments and/or questions in the comments box below.